FINDING TIME

My photo
I like to dabble in poetry, painting, photography.

7.31.2011

Wave

I breathe a prayer into a wave
Curling, and folding
It promises to deliver
My hope for you.

Where did that message go
Did it hurl itself on a rock and break into pieces
Melt in the sun
As it fell behind that straight line in the horizon
Did it paint the evening sky
An accidental hue of your favorite blue

Did the message reach your shore,
Touch your sand
Drown in the deep swell?
Did my poem fade in the iridescent glow of
The moon,taking a silver arrow hostage

Then pointed to itself?
Songs are fond of grand announcement
They say: Here I am poignant and demanding,
Sometimes familiar like the disappointment of first love.
Often they tell the same story of evening stars, repetitious
And insignificant,
Taking no particular new journey
Just bumming around in the galaxy

I wanted to give you the music of the ocean:
In it, a rhythm you can recognize,
Be blown away by its crescendo, or lulled by its whisper
I wanted you to hear.

If you listen closely you will know
That the water came to swallow me
And I surrendered: Curled and folded
In its blue embrace, then
Hurled onto a rock and broken into pieces
Swirled in the water, splintered, golden and speckled:
I melted with the sun, then painted
The sky vermillion,
My hope for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment